Founded in 1220 and originally used as a hospital, the Lord Mayor’s Chapel (St. Marks) is one of Bristol’s oldest buildings. Bought by Bristol City Council after King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1539, the chapel has no denomination and has been used for many purposes throughout its long history, including a refuge for French Huguenots during the 17th century.
The interior of the chapel contains some interesting artefacts including the effigies of two knights, thought to be the founders of the chapel.
The chapel is only open to the public a few times a week, so check the website before visiting.
On 3rd November 1487, a mason took a piece of slate and scratched the day's date into it. Hundreds of years later that same piece of slate was discovered at the top of the tower in the Lord Mayor's Chapel and is now on display in the church.